Riesling 2018 – Black Market Deal #33036
A stunning example of balance between restraint and intervention. This isn’t your average rizza.
It’s got all the tell-tale notes of citrusy acidity, white florals and stone fruit but each sip reveals something more. Something intriguing.
There’s a creamy texture and a touch of residual sugar, along with a teensy hint of the old French oak used so reservedly. This, combined with the über lengthy palate – dripping with balanced acidity has resulted in a moreish drop, worthy of your cellar.
Some now, some for later. Win win.
What is a Black Market deal?
Black Market deals are only made possible if we don’t reveal the maker’s brand on site. The wines are the genuine article, absolutely no cleanskins or fake brands, just dangerously good value. You won’t find out what it is until it hits your doorstep, but you won’t regret it. Just keep it on the down low.
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 100% Riesling
- Serving Temp.
Some of the country's highest quality and best value wines unarguably come from this wee island, and the average bottle price is higher than any other region. It is probably the most sustainable part of the Aussie wine industry, given its relatively untapped potential and consistency of quality.There's no denying that the Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, sparkling and aromatic whites are up there with the best.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Potato roesti with smoked salmon
- 800g royal blue potatoes, peeled
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1/2-1 tsp horseradish cream, or to taste
- 100g spreadable cream cheese
- 1 bunch rocket, leaves torn
- 200g sliced smoked salmon
- 1 tbs finely chopped chives
- Coarsely grate potatoes into a sieve placed over a bowl.
- Season potatoes to taste with salt and pepper. Using your hands, squeeze out any excess moisture from grated potatoes.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches and adding more oil when needed, add heaped tablespoonfuls of potato mixture to pan, flattening to form 8cm rounds. Cook roesti for 1 1/2 minutes each side or until crisp and golden.
- Drain roesti on paper towels. Place horseradish cream and cream cheese in a bowl and stir until smooth. Divide roesti among plates. Top with rocket, smoked salmon and a spoonful of cream cheese mixture. Scatter with chives then season to taste. Serve immediately.