This is a cult South African wine, made by the genius winemaker Donovan Rall. The maker himself called this, “The Rall White I’ve made with the most finesse.”
He chose to exclude chardonnay from the blend for the first time this vintage, leaving it up to chenin blanc, verdelho and viognier to work their magic. The result is muscular but not heavy. Concentrated flavours are lifted by a taut acidity. It’s seen some very gentle oak, giving a hint of creaminess to complement the peach and salinity. Master of Wine Tim Atkin says of this, “World class wine at an affordable price.” No objections from us!
“The Rall white I’ve made with the most finesse” is its creator’s verdict on the 2017. Marrying Chenin with Verdelho and a splash of Viognier, it’s a subtle, allusive, gently wooded wine with bread and baking spice notes, a hint of peach and a core of chiselled acidity. A world class white wine at an eminently affordable price. 2019-27.”
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- South Africa
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 71% Chenin Blanc, 24% Verdelho, 5% Viognier
- Serving Temp.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Barbecued fish patties
- 600g boneless, skinless, firm white fish fillets
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 small brown onion, grated
- 3/4 cup fresh wholegrain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons baby capers, drained
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 150g bag mixed salad leaves
- Tomato chutney or relish, to serve
- Preheat barbecue plate on medium heat. Place fish in a food processor. Use the pulse button to process until roughly chopped. Add parsley and pine nuts. Process until just combined.
- Transfer fish mixture to a large bowl. Add onion, breadcrumbs, parmesan, egg and capers. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Using 1/4 cup mixture at a time, shape fish mixture into 12 patties. Spray both sides fish patties with oil. Barbecue until cooked through. Serve with salad leaves and tomato chutney.