Another year and we are yet again gobsmacked at the consistent value this pinot gris provides. Let’s just lay out the virtues; mature vines, fantastic high altitude vineyard site, thoughtful and precise winemaking and a low price tag.
While you’re collecting your jaw from off the floor, let me tell you what all of the above contributes to the wine. We see an intense palate of fresh cut pear, green apple and subtle spice on the finish. It walks the tightrope of providing plenty of flavour while also being dry and crisp, right in the zone for Aussie gris.
This has become the go to gris for many a mofo over the years so if this is your first run-in with this runaway success, welcome. If you’re already aware of this gregarious gris, you probably already hit BOOM. I’ll see myself out...
What is a Black Market deal?
Black Market deals are only made possible if we don’t reveal the maker’s brand on site. The wines are the genuine article, absolutely no cleanskins or fake brands, just dangerously good value. You won’t find out what it is until it hits your doorstep, but you won’t regret it. Just keep it on the down low.
Full price $26.00 from the producer on 21 January 2020.
Mofo member price is always best price, 100% Happiness Guaranteed. If you find a better price to buy this wine elsewhere, contact our customer team now and we’ll beat it.
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- King Valley
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 100% Pinot Gris
- Serving Temp.
The region of King Valley is as impressive as its name. With a magnificent vineyard area covering 1,800ha, it represents half of all the plantings in North East Victoria. Celebrated for its innovative varietals, covering all corners of the globe - from Spain, to Germany, France, Russia and more famously Italy, it's this point of difference that has made the area such a revered Aussie wine region. Gentle slopes, warm days and cool nights make it an ideal area to produce Mediterranean varieties such as Nebbiolo, Sangiovese and Prosecco amongst many other out-of-the-box wines - talk about La Dolce Vita!
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Prawn, Mint & Lemon skewers
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long fresh red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 tbs chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbs finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 900g large green prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- Olive oil spray
- Fresh mint leaves, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- CAPSICUM MAYONNAISE
- 235g (1 cup) whole-egg mayonnaise (see note)
- 2 tbs Always Fresh Fusions Red Pepper Tapenade
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- To make the capsicum mayonnaise, process the mayonnaise, tapenade and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth.
- Combine the garlic, chilli, mint, lemon rind, oil and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Add the prawns and stir to coat. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Thread prawns onto skewers. season with salt and pepper. Heat a barbecue grill or chargrill on high. spray the skewers with oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden. Top with mint. Serve with the capsicum mayonnaise and lemon wedges.