La Closerie des Lys Chardonnay 2016
- Light, aromatic
Mofo Wine Buyer Karel’s “favourite everyday white” is back with another vintage. And according to one source, 2016 in Languedoc was a vintage of “enormous potential, with immediate aromatic expression in the whites and rosés which are showing delicious balance”. Sounds about right, for this brilliant chardy from a family winery that’s been at it for nigh on 90 years.
Fruity, flowery, balanced and bloody delicious. Karel reckons you’ll be hard pressed to find a chardonnay better than this 11 bucks.
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 100% Chardonnay
- Serving Temp.
From the producer
The wines are aromatic, elegant (aromas of fresh fruit, flowers) with finesse, discretion and length due to the terroir of the Upper Aude Valley. The mouth is well structured, round, with a beautiful freshness. Consumption from the first year with a custody potential of 3 to 4 years.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Buckwheat blinis with smoked salmon and dill cream
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 30g butter, chopped
- 150g smoked salmon, sliced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- Dill sprigs, to serve
- Combine egg and milk together with a fork. Sift flours into a medium bowl. Make a well in the centre. Gradually add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring with the fork until combined. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Melt a little of the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Using 2 level teaspoons mixture per blini, cook in batches of 8 for 2 minutes each side. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat 3 times.
- Divide smoked salmon evenly into 32 portions. Combine sour cream and dill in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place blini on a platter. Top with sour cream mixture, salmon and lemon rind. Serve sprinkled with dill sprigs.