Decanter makes the claim that this is about the closest you’ll get to Beaujolais in South Africa. They’re not wrong, either.
Bright red fruits and earthy undertones, blackberries and a gorgeous pepperiness. 80% whole bunches of superb cinsault fruit give a crunchy, stalky texture that’ll have you salivating for more. Acidity underscores everything brightly and evenly. It’s wonderfully balanced, ripe and fresh. Truly a wine worthy of its sizeable cult following.
“A wine doesn't have to be big to be complex," says Donovan Rall of this refined, ageworthy Cinsault, which combines fruit from Darling and the Swartland. Textured, refreshing yet with quite a bit of tannin for the variety, this is crunchy, complex and elegant with layers of summer berry and black cherry fruit. 2022-26.”
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- South Africa
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 100% Cinsault
- Serving Temp.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Peppered steak with creamy mushroom sauce
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 4 scotch fillet steaks, trimmed
- 50g butter, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 150g shiitake mushrooms, stalks removed, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons red wine or beef stock
- 1/3 cup thickened cream
- mashed potato and baby spinach, to serve
- Rub both sides of the steaks with cracked black pepper and season with salt. Heat 30g butter in a heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook steaks for 2 to 3 minutes each side until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil.
- Add remaining 20g butter, garlic, mushrooms and thyme to pan. Cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are tender. Add wine. Cook until wine is almost evaporated. Add cream. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 1 minute or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Spoon mashed potato onto plates. Top with steak and spoon over mushroom sauce. Serve with spinach or salad.