Woah woah woah… let’s back it up a second. What’s this all about anyway? Well, mofo, ‘retromarcia’ is Italian for ‘reverse’ or ‘reverse gear’. You know, like, ‘I’m gonna have to reverse to get out of this alleyway.’ (‘Devo andare in retromarcia per uscire da questo vicolo’ - if you were wondering.)
The name spells out what they’re all about. Shunning these so-called ‘international grapes’ like cabernet and merlot which have been encroaching on sangiovese’s home turf in Tuscany. They’re out to show what the native grape can do all on its own, in the traditional style. Elegant, lithe, savoury and oh-so classic Chianti is the result. Bright red cherries, dusty tannins, cranberry and gravel and lashings of Tuscan sunshine. This is worth doubling back for.
“Just mid crimson. Perfumed cherry and strawberry fruit nose. Succulent and almost racy cherry fruit but with enough stuffing. Cranberry and sour-cherry finish with grainy tannins. Elegant.”
Full price $50.00 from the producer on 24 December 2019.
Mofo member price is always best price, 100% Happiness Guaranteed. If you find a better price to buy this wine elsewhere, contact our customer team now and we’ll beat it.
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 100% Sangiovese
- Serving Temp.
From the producer
Intense mountain herbs, aromas of cranberry, wild cherry and red plums, anise, spice, and orange peel. Fresh and fruity, medium-bodied, well balanced, with a nice structure, juicy acidity and a long finish
Ah...Tuscany. The home of rolling hills, extra virgin olive oil, Steak Florentine and, of course, Chianti. Everything here is about the earth, and it shows through in the produce. Earthy, vinous, purely rustic and unadulterated. Some of our most enjoyable experiences have come from here. They don't generally come cheap, but they're well worth it.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Traditional roast lamb
- 2kg leg of lamb, fat trimmed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.5kg chat potatoes
- Basic gravy (makes 2 to 2 1/2 cups):
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Lightly grease roasting pan. Place lamb in pan. Combine oil, rosemary and garlic in a bowl. Rub half the oil mixture over lamb. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Roast lamb, basting with remaining oil mixture every 20 minutes, for 1 hour 15 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking. Add potatoes to pan for last 40 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- Remove lamb from oven. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 10 minutes. Carve. Serve with potatoes.
- Basic Gravy: Transfer meat (and any vegetables) to a plate to rest. Combine stock and wine in a jug. Skim fat from roasting pan, leaving 1 1/2 tablespoons pan juices and fat in pan. Place pan over high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and becomes golden. Add juices from resting meat. Slowly add stock mixture to pan, stirring constantly. Cook, scraping pan, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.