This is cabernet franc unshackled. Where many Loire Valley examples are light, aromatic, and even a touch shy, this ballsy South African is hedonistic and powerful. There’s tobacco leaf and bell pepper aromatics over a core of dense red fruit encircled by grippy tannins. There’s forest floor complexity and an air of woodsmoke about it. It’s seen 50% new French oak which gives shape and structure, texture and a feeling of importance. Those that haven’t really ‘got’ cab franc in the past, may well fall in love here. It’s what you always wanted the grape to be. Try one as soon as it arrives, then there’s no rush to get through the others.
“This wine is unmistakably Cabernet Franc, with notes of tobacco leaf, bell pepper and plum leading into an elegant, refined palate with fine tannins and just enough grip to balance the concentrated red fruit. Delicious now and can age into 2022.”
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- South Africa
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 100% Cabernet Franc
- Serving Temp.
From the producer
Matured in 500-litre barrels for 16 months, 40% new, the wine is unmistakably Cabernet Franc, with notes of crushed leaves, violets, earth and sweet spice leading into an elegant, refined palate of succulent, red fruits and lively acidity. Grippy and fresh, tight and savoury, the fine tannins combine with just enough grip to balance the concentrated red fruit.
The fruit comes from a single vineyard, mountainside site on the Gabriëlskloof property. The soil is a combination of Overberg Shale and Table Mountain Sandstone, with this complexity transferred into the wine through a lovely mix of fruit and spice. The vineyard is 15 years old, and this maturity shows in the depth and character of the wine.
The fruit was hand-picked into small crates and transferred directly into our cold room where it remained overnight. 90% of the crop was destemmed with the remaining 10% left as whole clusters. The wine was fermented wild and aged in 500L barrels for 18 months, with 30% new French Oak used.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 avocado, peeled, mashed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 400g beef rump steak, thinly sliced
- 40g packet fajita seasoning
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 8 large flour tortillas
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine tomato and coriander in a bowl. Combine avocado and 2 teaspoons lime juice in a separate bowl.
- Combine steak, seasoning and 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl. Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add onion and capsicum. Cook, stirring, until golden and softened. Transfer to a bowl. Cover to keep warm. Reduce heat to medium-high. Cook steak, in batches, until cooked to your liking. Combine steak, onion mixture and remaining lime juice in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat tortillas following packet directions. Serve tortillas with tomato mixture, avocado mixture, beef mixture and lemon wedges.