El Enemigo Malbec 2016
- Textured, savoury
This is benchmark Mendoza malbec, with a 7% splash of cab franc for added sex appeal. Rich, ripe fruit and some serious body is carried on the back of vibrant altitude-derived acidity for an athletic drop. It’s a bit like Arnie (in his prime years). Muscular and powerful, yes, but immediately likeable and inexorably charming. It may not be the wine you pull out for your light summer salad but, in the right context, it’s absolutely unstoppable.
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 93% Malbec, 7% Cabernet Franc
- Serving Temp.
Mendoza is a beautiful region within Argentina that is known for their powerful Malbecs, although the region has begun to branch out to prove that they're not a one grape wonder. Being responsible for nearly 80% of the total production, the region produces Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Syrah, Tempranillo, Chenin and various other grapes. Food focused wines that will satisfy any curious wine drinker.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Peppered steak with creamy mushroom sauce
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 4 scotch fillet steaks, trimmed
- 50g butter, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 150g shiitake mushrooms, stalks removed, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons red wine or beef stock
- 1/3 cup thickened cream
- mashed potato and baby spinach, to serve
- Rub both sides of the steaks with cracked black pepper and season with salt. Heat 30g butter in a heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook steaks for 2 to 3 minutes each side until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil.
- Add remaining 20g butter, garlic, mushrooms and thyme to pan. Cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are tender. Add wine. Cook until wine is almost evaporated. Add cream. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 1 minute or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Spoon mashed potato onto plates. Top with steak and spoon over mushroom sauce. Serve with spinach or salad.