Look, mofos, full disclosure. I’ve gone off the sauce for a month for a bit of a New Year’s detox. Stupid, I know, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
I do, however, still taste wine daily as part of my job, to be able to describe them to you as accurately as possible.
Now maybe my wine-deprived brain had just ticked over into making everything taste amazing just before I pulled the cork on this one. It’s hard to say, but I do think this is stunning. Beefy, peppery syrah vibes are balanced and softened wonderfully by joyously fruited grenache. Luscious plums and cherries, black pepper and bramble jelly coat the palate before a long, luscious liquorice-rich finish. This is superb value for money.
Oh bloody hell… Let’s try again next month, eh?
Part of our Women in Wine Collection
We are committed to ALWAYS having wines available that are made by women. In an industry that’s still dominated by men, we believe in celebrating the incredible work women are doing. Here’s to our Women in Wine!
Vignerons: Eliane Lafage & Jean-Marc Lafage
Eliane focuses on the winery, while Jean-Marc’s attention is honed on the vineyards. Together they create the final blends. Their wines are labours of love, and we’re lucky to have them in our lives.
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- Syrah, Grenache
- Serving Temp.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Steak with chimichurri sauce
- 1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 1/4 cup (60ml) red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 bunch fresh oregano, leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed chillies
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 6 large rib-eye steaks
- Preheat barbecue or chargrill to high. Place 1 tbs sea salt in a jar with 1/2 cup (125ml) warm water and stir to dissolve. Add remaining ingredients, except steak, and shake well. Brush steaks with a little oil and season. Barbecue until cooked to your liking (1-2 minutes each side for medium rare). Rest for 5 minutes.
- Shake sauce again, discarding bay leaf. Place steaks on plates, drizzle with sauce and serve with baked sweet potatoes and iceberg wedges (see related recipe).