Carius Cairanne Côtes du Rhône Cru Grenache Blend 2016
- Textured, savoury
- Côtes du Rhône
Côtes du Rhône have historically been the south of France’s quaffers. The day-to-day go to for all occasions that don’t demand Chât-du-Pape or Hermitage. Tell you what, though. They’ve been treating themselves bloody well all these years!
This is delicious stuff. A classic blend of grenache, carignan and syrah, it’s rich and fruity, with spicy complexity at the same time. The main difference between this and the more expensive stuff from the region is that it’s less demanding. This’ll go just as well with your sausage rolls as it will with your sunday roast. There’s no tannin to take your face off, just perfectly structure each mouthful for maximum deliciousness. So what if it’s origins aren’t quite as noble? Unpretentiousness, quality and deliciousness are a winning combo in my book.
“Rich opulent nose of herbaceous red berry, the palate is full of rich ripe blue and black fruit, beautifuly judged oak complexity and superb acidity giving lovely fresh lift to the finish.”
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Côtes du Rhône
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 70% Grenache, 20% Carignan, 10% Syrah
- Serving Temp.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Open steak sandwiches
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 4 sprigs basil
- 1 tbs baby capers
- 1 lemon
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 4 x 175g beef fillet steaks
- 1/2 radicchio treviso
- 1 bunch rocket
- 150g (1/2 cup) mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 200C. Cut tomatoes in quarters and place on an oven tray. Drizzle with 1 tsp oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast for 10 minutes or until tomatoes start to soften.
- Meanwhile, place garlic and a pinch of salt in a mortar and gently pound with a pestle to a paste. Tear over parsley and basil leaves, add capers, then pound until leaves are bruised. Add 1 1/2 tbs oil, then zest over lemon and squeeze in juice. Season and stir to combine. Makes 2/3 cup.
- Preheat chargrill pan over high heat. Brush both sides of bread with 1 tbs oil, then cook for 1 minute each side or until lightly charred. Divide among plates. Keep pan over heat.
- Slice beef fillets in half horizontally to make 8 thin steaks. Brush with remaining 1 tsp oil, season, then cook for 2 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate, loosely cover with foil and rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim radicchio and separate leaves. Place in a large bowl. Add rocket, drizzle with 1 tbs herb dressing and toss to combine.
- Spread chargrilled bread with mayonnaise. Top with radicchio salad, steaks and tomatoes, then drizzle with remaining herb dressing to serve.