BLACK MARKET Syrah 2013
- Textured, savoury
- Upper Goulburn
We’ve had a couple of wines from this boutique producer on the tasting bench recently and our red-wine geeks have been most enthused. Crafted in the Upper Goulburn region, this ‘13 syrah spent 18 months in some fancy French barrels and emerged with cherry, blueberry, blackberry and dark plum notes. The oak is akin to your favourite neighbour – it pops its head in to say g’day, but doesn’t overstay its welcome. With 94 Halliday points and another decade left in it, feel free to say hurrah for this syrah.
We can’t reveal the brand of this wine on our site. It’s a promise we made to the producer and that’s how we secured the deal. You still get the real McCoy – no cleanskins, no knockoffs, just top shelf vino at up to 70% off. Trust us, you won’t regret it. Just keep it on the down low.
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Upper Goulburn
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- Serving Temp.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
- 80ml (1/3 cup) soy sauce
- 1 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbs dry sherry
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs light olive oil
- 750g-piece beef eye fillet, tied at 4cm intervals
- Watercress sprigs, to serve
- Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, sherry, sugar and sesame oil in a small jug.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Add the beef to the pan and cook, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a wire rack over a plate to cool completely.
- Transfer the beef to a large sealable plastic bag. Add the soy sauce mixture and turn to coat. Place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight to marinate.
- Arrange the watercress on a serving platter. Thinly slice the beef and arrange on top of the watercress. Drizzle over any remaining soy sauce mixture.