Tropical meringue nests with fromage blanc | Christmas recipes
Get the Mofomas party started with these delightful tropical meringue nests with fromage blanc. Perfect as appetisers or for dessert (there's always room for dessert!), this is a quick and easy recipe that will only take 45 minutes from beginning to end and even less time, if you get all of your friends involved. Pair this up with De Bortoli's Noble One Riverina Semillon 2011 here for a good time.
Let's get started...
Buy those little nests from the supermarket or better yet, your adorable local bakery. I mean, you could make them from scratch, but wouldn’t you rather be sipping a Champagne by the pool? If you’re super keen to DIY, check out Felicity Cloake’s meringue recipe – she’s on the money.
- 1 cup passionfruit pulp (from 10-12 passionfruits)
- Zest the skin from 2 limes
- Juice 2 limes
- 125g caster sugar (a bit over half a cup)
- 6 egg yolks from happy chickens
- 1 gelatine leaf, softened in lukewarm water for ten minutes
- 120g of a good unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 - 3 mangos depending on the size
- 300ml of full fat cream
- 300ml of Greek yoghurt
- Tablespoon of icing sugar
- Gently whisk the passionfruit pulp, egg yolks and caster sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of VERY gently simmering water (YouTube it if you're unsure) until thick and pale. Be patient – it’ll take 15 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Squeeze most of the water from the gelatine, then whisk into the passionfruit mixture with the butter, a little at a time, until all incorporated. You should end up with a thick, glossy curd that easily coats the back of a spoon and holds its shape. It will set a bit more as it cools.
- Stick it in the fridge to set and give it a whisk just before serving. It’ll keep for a few days.
- While the passionfruit curd is chilling. Chop the mango into 2cm squares.
Whisk together 300ml of full fat cream with a tablespoon of icing sugar until you get soft peaks, then fold through 300ml of Greek yoghurt with a spatula. You’ve just made a cheats version of fromage blanc. Aren’t you fancy? Top each meringue with the cream, some mango and your passionfruit curd, then grate some lime zest over the top to finish. And voilà!
Now here's the fun part... time to eat and don't forget to share your photos with us by mentioning us at @vinomofo on Instagram and #Mofomas.
Recipes by Chef Dave. Follow his food and wine journey on Instagram at @morso.food.